Department of Medicine
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Hypertension
The Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Hypertension provides outstanding patient care and performs innovative clinical and basic science research to advance the ability of physicians to diagnose and manage cardiovascular diseases and hypertensive disorders. Physicians in the division serve as attending physicians on the Cardiology Consultation Services at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH), RWJ Hamilton and St. Peter's University Hospital. At RWJUH, division members serve as the directors of the Catheterization, Echocardiography and Electrophysiology laboratories and the Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplant Program.
Specialty care is provided for patients with heart failure, acute coronary syndromes, valvular heart disease, congenital heart disease, syncope and arrhythmias. Cardiac rehabilitation is provided for individuals recovering from heart attacks and coronary bypass surgery.
The staff includes certified specialists in non-invasive risk assessment, preventive cardiology, treatment of hypertensive and atherosclerotic disorders, diagnostic cardiac catheterization and intervention (angioplasty, stents), clinical cardiac electrophysiology, pacemaker and automatic cardiac defibrillator implant and follow-up.
Clinical Academic Building (CAB)
125 Paterson Street, Suite 5200
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
For Appointments: 732-235-6561
The Arrythmia Diagnosis and Treatment program provides the full spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic cardiovascular services. Diagnostic cardiac electrophysiologic studies are performed, as well as therapeutic cardiac electrophysiologic procedures, including radiofrequency transcatheter ablation, insertion of temporary and permanent pacemakers, and implantation of automatic defibrillators.
The Cardiac Catheterization and Catheter-Based Interventions program provides the full spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic cardiovascular services. Diagnostic procedures are performed, including right-heart catheterization, left-heart catheterization, angioscopy, intravascular ultrasound and Doppler wire evaluations. Interventional procedures are performed, including percutaneous transluminal balloon angioplasty, directional coronary atherectomy, rotoblater therapy, laser angioplasty, TEC procedures, intercoronary stent deployment, laser percutaneous transmyocardial revascularization, pericardiocentesis and balloon pericardial window procedures.
The Cardiovascular Research Program performs the full spectrum of basic, translational and clinical research on inpatients and outpatients with cardiovascular diseases and hypertension. Cardiovascular clinical trials, clinical pharmacology studies and outcomes research are three major areas of research activity.
To enroll prospective individuals in cardiovascular research, call Nora M. Cosgrove, RN, at 732-235-6546.
or 888-66-RWJUH (79584)
This program provides the full spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with left ventricular dysfunction, heart failure and heart transplantation.
Heart Failure Evaluation and Treatment Program
Comprehensive services for inpatients and outpatients are provided, including specialized drug and device therapies, cardiac metabolic evaluations and myocardial biopsy procedures.
Heart Transplantation Program
The full spectrum of diagnostic evaluations and state-of-the-art surgical and medical therapies is provided for patients prior to, during and following heart transplantation. This comprehensive program includes infectious disease, immunology, psychiatry and social services support.
Echocardiography Laboratories: 732-937-8833
Exercise Physiology Program and Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging: 732-937-8633
Cardiac Electrophysiology and Arrhythmia Program: 732-235-6567
Our program provides the full spectrum of non-invasive cardiovascular services.
The full spectrum of diagnostic cardiac ultrasound services is provided.
- Two-dimensional and Doppler transthoracic echocardiography with and without contrast for adult and pediatric patients.
- Stress echocardiography, including bicycle and treadmill exercise, as well as adenosine, dobutamine and dipyridamole adjunctive pharmacotherapy.
- Transesophageal echocardiography, including outpatient, inpatient and intraoperative procedures with and without contrast.
Exercise Physiology Laboratory
The full spectrum of diagnostic services, with and without adjunctive radionuclide imaging, is provided.
- Exercise stress testing using treadmill or bicycle.
- Stress testing using atrial pacing.
- Pharmacological stress testing using adenosine, dobutamine or dipyridamole.
- Metabolic stress testing.
Cardiac Electrophysiology and Arrhythmia Program
Comprehensive services related to disorders of the heart rate and rhythm are provided, including state-of-the-art device therapy.
- Electrocardiography services, including 12-lead electrocardiography, vectorcardiography, signal-averaged electrocardiography (SAECG) and ambulatory electrocardiography (Holter and event monitoring).
- Cardiac pacemaker and defibrillator program, including transtelephonic pacemaker monitoring and arrhythmia device evaluation and programming.
- Autonomic function testing, including tilt testing and evaluation of heart rate variability.
- Electrical and chemical cardioversion.
- Cardiac arrhythmia research.
Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
The Cardiac MRI Laboratory provides the full spectrum of diagnostic cardiac magnetic resonance imaging services.
- Anatomic/morphologic assessment.
- Functional studies.
- Stress wall motion and perfusion studies.
- Cardiac MRI research (especially angiography and plaque characterization).
Participating Providers (11)
|James Coromilas, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Richard A Cytryn, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Bobby D Ghosh, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|John B. Kostis, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|William J. Kostis, PhD, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Abel E. Moreyra, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Issam Moussa, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Archana Patel, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Amardeep Saluja, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Daniel M. Shindler, MD||(732) 235-6561|
|Tudor D. Vagaonescu, MD, PhD||(732) 235-6561|